- Provide funding for comfortable environments for autistics in public schools, where they can recover from the stress of being in a neurotypical environment. Features would include stimming toys, “squeeze machines”, weighted blankets, and noise-cancelling scarves/headphones.
- Provide funding for more aides and counselors in public schools with comprehensive backgrounds in social/emotional issues rather than behavioral ones. Instead of one or two such counselors per school, how about five or six?
- Mandate a less bureaucratically inflexible, faster path towards obtaining 504 accommodations and IEP’s. Also mandate effective special education environments to help autistic students achieve their goals effectively.
- For autistics on IEP’s, mandate a more accommodating standard curriculum, which allows motivated, academically-oriented autistics to succeed in higher level classes.
- Close loopholes in the Americans with Disabilities Act, fully preventing discrimination in jobs, healthcare, housing, and applying for federal aid.
- Mandate more competent advocates and caretakers by requiring at minimum a bachelor’s degree in psychology and a license. Encourage people to acquire certifications by raising wages for social workers as incentive.
- Create college scholarships for autistics, and require all colleges to provide necessary accommodations for students.
- Encourage the creation of paid internships in diverse fields for autistics.
There are a lot more things that I can’t think of right now, so please add things as you will.